First Presbyterian Church logo

About Us

Who We Are

We began as a congregation in 1876 and purchased our property here on 6th Street in March of 1878. By Thanksgiving, the sanctuary was completed, and the Rev. John McMurray led both the congregtion and operated a school across the street.

In 1894, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was founded in town, and the two congregations merged about 1910, retaining the First Presbyterian name. Because the church grew so rapidly, we needed a larger facility, so a new brick sanctuary was built on the site in 1912-1913.

Since then we have thankfully and faithfully served our Lord Jesus Christ in this community, establishing deep roots of faith.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon